Monday, November 8, 2010

Super Simple English Toffee

This is the simplest toffee recipe I could find, and it's so delicious! It came from Paula Deen, you can find the original recipe here

What You'll Need:
14 Tbsp salted butter
1 cup Sugar
2 Tbsp cold water
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1 tsp vanilla
Dash of salt
6 oz chocolate (optional)

Start by getting your butter and sugar on the stove. Put your cold water in the pan first, so you don't get dry spots on the bottom. Turn it on medium to high heat. While that's melting, get your pan ready.
I used aluminum foil instead of a pan, this way it hardens on a flat surface (most of the pans in this house are warped and bent). I turned up the edges to get neat corners (I made my area too big though, so the toffee didn't entirely reach the corners, but that's okay). Spray your pan or foil with Pam.
It should only take a minute or two for your butter to melt. Use a wooden spoon to stir your mixture, do NOT use plastic! The sugar gets very hot, and can melt the spoon. Continue stirring to keep the mixture heated evenly.
After about 7-10 minutes, your sugar should be a nice caramel color, and reach roughly 310 degrees. I don't have a candy thermometer, so I went by the color. You should be able to SMELL it by now too!
Once it's ready, take it off the heat and add your vanilla, salt, and nuts (if you chose to use nuts). Poor it in your prepared pan.
Before it hardens, score it with a knife. Spray the knife with Pam or butter, and run it along the toffee to make squares. It will harden around the edges much faster than the center. I scored mine once (the sides were already almost hard), and then went back and scored the center parts again a few minutes later. It hardens quickly, so make sure it do it within a couple minutes of pouring!
When it's completely hardened (20-30ish minutes), snap apart the pieces. You can drizzle them with chocolate, or dip them in melted chocolate to coat. I chose to leave mine plain this time.
This is such a simple candy to make for the holidays! It only takes a few minutes to whip up, and has such simple ingredients. People are sure to love it!

21 comments:

  1. Yummmmm, I love toffee. Is the sugar amount missing on the recipe above?

    Jo @ http://smilemonsters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought toffee was pretty complicated to make, but this doesn't look too bad. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like something I could actually make! How much sugar do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I just bought some dark chocolate at Joann Fabrics of all places, that is made special to melt in the micro nuke. I'm going to try your recipe, then dip the pieces in the chocolate.
    Thanks!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMGoodness! these look fantastic! Thanks for sharing at the Passionately Artistic site!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super yummmmmy! I shouldn't be reading this while hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this look fantastic and very easy to make..
    TFS
    Thank you for participating at the linking party :)
    Maggie
    http://passionatelyartistic.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmmm this will go great in my tins of Christmas cookies for neighbours, thanks!!

    Here from Thrilling Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh How delicious..
    Ill def try those TFS:) x
    Thankyou for sharing at the PA Blog
    Terrie
    http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, yum! definitely making these this weekend!

    (I came over from Frou Frou Decor)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love toffee! One of my favorite holiday treats!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmmm... I'm going to have to try this for the holidays! I'm your newest follower... I'm having a giveaway over at my blog & would love it if you would stop by!

    www.jillifyit.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. this looks soooo fantastic!!

    I'm your newest follower!

    Sarah
    www.thebirdspapaya.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. OHHH my, my favorite all-time candy! Will I be able to resist not making this? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG this looks so easy! I LOVE me some toffee and will probably be trying this recipe!

    Hannah @ http://youngancrafty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum. I'm going to try this. It's nice that it's only things that I usually have in the pantry.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my! That looks SO yummy!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks a lot easier than some I've tried. I might even do it tonight. Yummy!

    By the way, when I've made similar candy before, I wait a couple of minutes after pouring it in the pan so it can harden just a bit, but is still hot. Then I pour chocolate chunks (even choc chips) over it and wait a few minutes for those to melt. Then spread the chocolate with a knife or spatula. You can't score it this way though...you'd have to break it like a brittle when it's done hardening. Either way? Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is awesome! I would love for you to come link up at my Strut Your Stuff party!

    http://danajeanward.blogspot.com/2010/11/strut-your-stuff-link-party-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Its really conservatives and testiest products thanx for enlightening us.

    Gourmet Brownies obtains classic confection, Very tasty chocolate covered English Toffee . for any Special occasions don't missed.

    ReplyDelete