Saturday, May 28, 2011

Ruffle Top Rainbow Cake


I’m sure plenty of you have seen the rainbow cake before. I mean, the Super EPIC Rainbow Cake from Whisk Kid. I decided to make it for Emma’s second birthday this year. Of course, right now I’m not allowed to have dairy (because of Charlie’s milk allergy), so I didn’t get the chance to use her recipe, but I loved the concept of the cake. I wasn’t sure how it would work replacing the butter in the cake with Crisco (and this wasn’t the time to experiment), so I used boxed cake mix (Meijer brand white cake mix was the only kind I could find that didn't contain dairy). It made a smaller total amount of batter, so my layers were a bit thinner and the cake didn’t stand as high. For the frosting I used a Crisco/powdered sugar recipe. Now, this cake calls for a LOT of frosting, so I was REALLY sad that I had to use some crappy alternative rather than the delicious Swiss Meringue Buttercream. But I’ve made a promise to myself, I WILL make this cake again, and it WILL have the proper ingredients. Sometime.
Now, I don’t suggest using a Crisco based frosting. Ever. For anything. It’s just plain gross. It doesn’t frost well. Crisco doesn’t melt in your mouth. It doesn’t even melt in super hot dish water (is that good for my drain?) I ended up scraping a lot of the frosting off in an attempt to not make myself sick, lol. So to the people who consumed this cake, I’m sorry for your future artery troubles. At least I learned from this project, never use a Crisco based frosting. It doesn’t frost well, and it tastes like poo. Next time I will use butter, even if I have to cut a slice of cake, stick it in the freezer, and wait to eat it until Charlie is weaned.

Oh, and did I mention that the SUPER awesome Whisk kid (Kaitlin) is only TWENTY years old? And she’s already been on the Martha Stewart Show! I’m not a huge fan of Martha, but she IS legendary. Also, Kaitlin happens to go to college at MSU, which is only an hour from where I live. It’s such a small world! Kaitlin, if you’re reading this, your blog ROCKS!

So on to the cake!

Since I didn’t use the same recipe as Whisk kid, I suggest heading over there to get her recipe. It looks like a kick-ass recipe (and that frosting is to DIE for, I promise). But I’ll post the general instructions here (and tips that I learned from my experience).

Start by making your batter. If you have a scale, you can figure up the weight of the batter and divide by 6 to figure out how much batter to put in each bowl.


If you don’t have a scale, just eyeball it (mine turned out pretty okay that way). Divide the batter between the 6 bowls. Color each bowl of batter: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple. Whatever color the batter is, that’s the color it will turn out once it’s baked.

Dirty dishes have never looked so pretty!


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

I HIGHLY suggest layering parchment or wax paper on the bottom of your cake pan. To do this, trace the bottom of the cake pan 6 times onto parchment paper, and cut out all 6 circles. Lay the paper into the bottom of your pan and then grease the pan or spray it with pan spray (I used spray, turned out great). Now, if you have 6 cake pans, that’s great. But most people don’t. So you need to bake them in batches. I only own 2 8 inch cake pans, so I baked 3 batches.

My assistant, Charlie; he loves helping mama bake!

Pour your batter into the pans and bake it for 15 minutes. When the cake it done, flip it out of the pan. In order to get the cake to not fall apart, I suggest taking a layer of wax paper and laying it on the cake (while it’s still in the pan). Place your hand on the paper, and flip the cake upside down. It should come out easily, and the paper will help it to not fall apart. Having the paper will also keep the layers from sticking to each other when you stack them (that is, if you're storing them for a while like I did, I waited until the next day to frost them). I did this step while the cakes were still hot, and they stayed in one piece. Lay them out on a sheet pan and let them cool (I threw mine in the fridge so they were chilled through before I stacked them).

Wash your pans, and repeat.


Once you have your cake layers baked, it’s time to start stacking! Start with purple on the bottom. Don’t forget to peel the circle of wax paper off each later; no one wants to cut into that! (and surprisingly, it happened often enough at school in my bakeshop class). In order to keep each layer of cake intact, don’t try to peel the cake from the wax paper, peel the paper from the cake. Don’t ask me WHY I was trying to peel my cake from the paper, but after a few seconds of trying, I realized I just needed to flip it onto the cake stack and then peel the paper off. It worked much better this way (I blame the sleep deprivation). Smother each layer with a good amount of frosting before stacking the next layer. If you want it to look really clean and perfect, use a lot of frosting. My frosting was about as thick as my cake layers (although my layers were a little thinner than the recipe called for, remember that).



Once you have your cake stacked, do a crumb coat. A crumb coat is basically just a thin layer of frosting on the cake to seal in the crumbs. If you’ve ever tried frosting a cake without a crumb coat, you probably know why it’s recommended. Put the cake in the fridge for about 30 minutes to set. You want the crumb coat to hold in place when you do the final frosting.


Now, how you frost this cake is up to you. Whisk kid left hers plain white, which makes it look plain, but that’s TOTALLY cool, since the inside is so awesome; it just adds to the effect. Since this is for my daughter’s birthday, I wanted something fun and colorful. I thought about just caking (hehe, cake) on sprinkles to the sides and the top, but I was thinking it might be a little too crunchy, not to mention I REALLY wanted to do something new. I didn’t want to just throw sprinkles at it and call it good. That’s not why I went to school to learn how to make cakes! So I went with plan B. I got my inspiration from this cake here. (p.s. I also really want to make a cake like this, I was thinking maybe purple ruffles though? I LOVE the fade effect. Anyone need a tiered caked?) The ruffle is actually very easy to do. I used a size 103 rose tip to make mine. I flubbed a little at the beginning, if you look closely you can tell that I used the fat end as the edge for the red layers, but the thin end for the rest. It looks much more crisp with the thin end for the edge. I highly suggest fooling around with this on some parchment paper. I actually took one of my cake pans, covered it with parchment paper (or saran wrap works, too), and doing the entire top in white. I just wanted to see how many circles I would need to fill the entire top. Once I was done, I just scraped my frosting off and colored it to use on the cake (which I might add again, Crisco based frosting SUCKS! I had to wash my bags between each color because I don’t have disposable bags. It took forever.) So anyway, this ended up working out perfectly so I could have 2 rows of each color. I was a little nervous to try something so bold, something that I’ve never tried before, but I think it turned out AWESOME! Here's the final product.

My chef would totally be cringing at the frosting job I did for the sides. Like I said, Crisco based frosting SUCKS. I gave up on that quickly.


 The birthday girl, blowing out her candles





101 comments:

  1. I've done the cupcake version, but this is INSANE! your photos are gorgeous!! Your kids must have been dying as you sliced and said "don't touch it! Mama needs a blog photo!!" haha...I know the scene all too well :) GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee hee, I was also wondering how you managed to snap the photo of one slice out of the cake with the rest in the background. My kids may have rioted having to wait even a second longer than necessary for such a cool cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg omg omg I am in heaven, yeah that looks amazing, I want that for my birthday!

    Following you from I heart naptime!

    --Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. it turned out awesome! Im a hot mess with a frosting bag and tip

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this cake!! It looks time consuming but it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...amazing cake!! Found you from I Heart Naptime!
    junkintheirtrunk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning is really all I have to say about it! Just incredible. gorgeous. wow.
    xoxo,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Soooo pretty, and such a fun twist on the popular rainbow cake. ~Jen @ www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cake is incredible! Seriously incredible! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did you use plain old food coloring or something natural? It looks all so very doable but I don't want to use food coloring. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous!!! Great job mama! I'd love for you to link up!

    http://polkadotsonparade.blogspot.com/2011/05/wow-me-wednesday-11.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH MY GOSH!!! This is AMAZING!!! WOW!! You did SO GOOD!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a super cute cake! Love it! Visiting from under the table & dreaming.

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is so dashing..yummy..you did awesome job :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW! are you kidding me! Coolest cake every! I am your newest follower and would love if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow! you're amazing :) that came out so fun!!! and adorable! i'm sure it was delicious as well, love it! found you over at sunday showcase, stop by for a visit sometime :)

    Jackie
    http://jaclyndesigns.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, this looks like a lot of work, but turned out SO BEAUTIFUL!! Great job! Wish I had a daughter so I can make it for her!! Loving it!

    Following you from http://willcookforsmiles.blogspot.com/
    and liking you on facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/willcookforsmiles

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is stunning. I Love the ruffle top frosting. What an amazing birthday cake :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. So pretty! I had to click over from Under the Table and Dreaming. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is AMAZING! I want one right now! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG!! This is so amazing! Just wow!
    I would love it if you shared this at my linky party @ {nifty thrifty sunday}!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the decoration on top! Thanks for the kind words about my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. The ruffled top makes this cake extra special. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just incredible!!
    I would love if you would share this at our Monday Playdate : http://beneaththerowantree.blogspot.com/2011/05/playdate-link-party-everyone-welcome.html ?

    Cheers,
    Lori
    http://beneaththerowantree.com
    Come & Play :: Playdate

    ReplyDelete
  25. So cute! Love it!

    Your newest follower-

    Courtney at Sweet C's Designs

    www.sweetcsdesigns.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. So awesome!! Love it and it just gave me a great idea for what I'm going to bring to our families 4th of July Picnic :-) Thanks- great tutorial! Newest Follower
    myfashionfun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. That turned out really cute! I'll have to try ruffles like that sometime. :)

    Feel free to check out my baking at
    http:anisfavoritethings.blogspot.com

    I also made a rainbow cake. They really are too much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, it looks spectacular! I love the look of the frosting on the top!

    ReplyDelete
  29. totally adore this cake. The ruffle top is amazing. WELL DONE TO YOU! winks-jen

    ReplyDelete
  30. Amazing Cake!
    Thanks for sharing
    Lowri
    http://papervinenz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love how it turned out! And the frosting on top...beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I that done the rainbow cake many times, but I have never seen it with the rainbow top. I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  33. That cake is so adorable! I agree, the ruffle icing really made it extra special. So cute! (I've BTDT with the milk protein allergy so can totally sympathize.)

    ReplyDelete
  34. came over from sugarbee and that cake looks amazing and I'm in awe of your top frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  35. wow! That looks like it took forever, great work! Come over and link up to my tasty Tuesday party! http://nap-timecreations.blogspot.com/2011/05/papas-mac-and-cheese-and-tasty-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  36. Gawd that is just the cutest thing EVER! What I wouldn't give to have my girls little again and make this for them!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh my word! I'm loving every bit of this! My husband is a HUGE icing fanatic and I know he would die over this icing overload! :) Thanks for sharing this SUPER yummy idea!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow this is SO CUTE! I think this is the best one of these I have seen yet. Great job!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is AMAZING!!! Beautiful cake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Its absolutely gorgeous!
    I have seen many and have made one myself but, this was alot of work that totally paid off. I am highly impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I featured you today on my blog! Come grab a button!

    http://polkadotsonparade.blogspot.com/2011/05/toast-of-tuesday_31.html

    ReplyDelete
  42. That is so beautiful!!! You should come & link up with Fun for kids Friday this week. It'll go live Thursday around 12 noon. We'd love to have you join us! www.localfunforkids.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. Such a cute cake! Not sure if I am crafty enough or have the patience to make it! =) Looks yummy!
    Denice

    ReplyDelete
  44. Shared the link to your post on FB today, it is totally amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Very cute cake! Love the colors :)

    www.domesticcharm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  46. that's one cake I will try to make, it looks amazing!!!
    HI, I am your new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. This is beautiful! We'd love for you to come link up at THIS WEEK'S CRAVINGS "Summer BBQ Dishes". Please come on over and share this wonderful recipe!

    http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/05/this-weeks-cravings-linky-party-31.html

    ReplyDelete
  48. So amazing!!! I pinned this :)

    ReplyDelete
  49. HOly cow! This is the coolest rainbow cake I've seen yet! Your little girl is lucky to have such a talented momma!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Thanks for linking to Take-A-Look Tuesday - I featured you today (twice)!!
    -- Mandy, www.SugarBeeCrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  51. Honey, that cake looks fantastic!! I just had to stop by and let you know that before I run off to pin this.

    The Crisco icing is what they teach you to make for the Wilton cake decorating classes. I do like the way it tastes BUT, it really is the devil to clean off of everything. ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  52. This looks amazing! Thanks for the tips! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  53. WOW! Great JOB! I'd love for you to share this at my link party. Yuuuummy!

    thirtysixthavenue.com

    ReplyDelete
  54. This cake is adorable!!!! I'm an MSU grad myself, and live in metro Detroit. First time on your blog. Nice to "meet" you!

    ReplyDelete
  55. I featured this on my blog! Thanks for sharing!!
    www.craftychicka.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  56. This crazy cute. I love it, not sure I have the patient for such a cake but love to admire it from afar :o)

    ReplyDelete
  57. that looks amazing, my kids would love that for their birthdays!

    ReplyDelete
  58. would love to know which colors you used to get those lovely shades for the cake and frosting

    ReplyDelete
  59. I'd love for you to share this at Fun For Kids Friday! Looks so great!

    http://smilemonsters.blogspot.com/2011/06/fun-for-kids-friday.html

    Jo @ SmileMonsters

    ReplyDelete
  60. Oh my word! Thats to beautiful to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  61. I featured this on my Friday 5! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  62. This is the coolest cake ever!

    ReplyDelete
  63. It looks just perfect! Love rainbows!

    ReplyDelete
  64. Hi Katy! I'm your newest follower on your blog & facebook~ I absolutely LOVE your tutorial! I'll have to try this. I'm new to blogging and I'm visiting from "The Shabby Nest" I saw your link up there! Great job! You can find me here:
    http://onestopbabygifts.blogspot.com

    Cheers!
    Lilli

    ReplyDelete
  65. I just wanted to let you know that I will feature this amazing cake at tomorrow's {nifty thrifty sunday} linky party!
    Thank you so much for sharing it last week!
    I hope to see you again tomorrow! :)
    xoxo from Germany,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  66. Hi there, I've just joined your blog. This is incredible - I don't know how you could bare to cut it! Add the dirty dishes really do look pretty. Anna

    ReplyDelete
  67. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  68. Deanna Jane (cullenkidsmum) said...

    Joined your blog! Beautiful cake, just beautiful!!! I made a barbie cake with colored layers for my daughter's birthday one year, it was a whole lot of work!!

    ReplyDelete
  69. It looks so tempting...and mmm delicious looking.

    Mercedes

    ReplyDelete
  70. This looks like the yummiest things I have ever seen!!! I am definitely featuring this on my blog.. And I followed you also.. My blog is

    for.the.luv.of.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  71. this is AWESOME! I totally want to do this for my kiddos this week - it will make me the COOLEST mom ever! Thanks for sharing!!

    Riva @ unodostreschic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  72. Beyond Impressed! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  73. Beautiful! We love Rainbow cakes around here too! Great job!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  74. So beautiful and you're right, dirty dishes never looked so good ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  75. Katy - Simply A.MAZE.ING! This is incredible and so pretty! Thank you so much for linking to the Sunday Showcase Party. I featured this on Sunday! Hope you have a lovely week ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  76. You've been featured at The 36th Avenue.
    Here is the link to the post: http://www.thirtysixthavenue.com/2011/06/sticker-time-3.html
    Thank you for sharing and come visit to button up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  77. I love this!! I'd love to share this with our readers! We have a Monday Link Up party each week that I'd love to see you link up to!! www.dimpleprints.com

    ReplyDelete
  78. We just had to share you beautiful cake and amazing blog at our website. You are inspirational.
    http://babybindle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  79. Beautiful cake...but I have to disagree about Crisco icing. I have been using it on my cakes and cupcakes for years and it is by far my favorite. Sorry that you had a bad experience.

    ReplyDelete
  80. Here are three butter/margarine substitutes that are dairy free. I use Willow Run and it is good. Even tastes great on fresh corn on the cob and works well for baking. I will be making this cake for my daughters birthday coming up. So cool!

    Blue Bonnet Light Margarine
    Smart Balance Light Margarine
    Earth Balance
    Shedd's Willow Run lactose free Soybean Margarine

    ReplyDelete
  81. gorgeous cake, what a fun idea with the frosting. My brother in law is allergic to milk as well, so I use Duncan Hines Yellow cake mix for him, it is completely dairy free (no pudding in the mix. I've had pretty good results with it (I'm a Betty Crocker girl, myself). Thanks for the tutorial!!

    www.lungfam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  82. featured this on a a crafty soiree this week... thanks for linking up! http://www.yesterdayontuesday.com

    ReplyDelete
  83. I would love for you to link it up to my party that is running now. Any linky goes.

    http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/2011/06/any-link-goes-party-running-now-summer.html

    Come strut your stuff.

    Best rainbow cake I have seen thus far, great work.

    ReplyDelete
  84. This is the best rainbow cake I've ever seen ! Your kid is so lucky ! Check out my blog : http://nothinlasts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  85. Let me say, if my kiddos were still wee ones then this would be the cake I'd bake for them. My daughters would especially flip out over something like this. Excellent first attempt! =D

    ReplyDelete
  86. I still can't believe our first party had over 300 links. I have a special give away planned for linkers this week.

    I hope I didn't miss it, would love it if you would grab the bacon time party button for your collection of link parties since it will run every Friday evening through Sunday night.

    Thanks again, hope to see you soon.
    Your cake is amazing, love the frosting on top too.

    ReplyDelete
  87. I love crisco frosting. Haha I'm weird. Anyway straight real coke or pepsi (not diet) in your drain if you wash to much down. Maybe to try scrubbing with?

    ReplyDelete
  88. I have used Earth Balance Soy Spread (it's non-hydrogenated) in cake and frosting recipes with good results. The frosting will melt easier, but it tastes delicious. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  89. Did you use just ONE box of cake mix to make all these layers?

    How much "buttercream" did you make - how many cups of powdered sugar did you use? I'll make regular buttercream. I don't make SMBC. I'm trying to figure out if a double batch or a triple batch is needed.

    ReplyDelete
  90. Same question as Georgia...was this just one box of cake mix? It's AMAZING and I am trying it next week for my son's birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  91. Thanks so much for this blog...I'm in the middle of trying to duplicate your beautiful work...my rainbow is already going to be a pastel one as I couldn't seem to get the batter as dark as yours!! Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  92. Found the Facebook page for Pinterest [https://www.facebook.com/pinterest ].

    Found a post on that page by A Blissful Nest [https://www.facebook.com/ablissfulnest ].

    The post led me to the Pinterest board for the owner of A Blissful Nest, Rebekah Dempsey [http://pinterest.com/pin/14707136253031028/ ]

    I finally ended up here at this blog and all I can say is:

    You need to mass produce this cake and market it nationwide! Or even worldwide! Sell the recipe to Sara Lee or Paula Deen or somebody like that. This cake could make your rich!!!

    ReplyDelete
  93. i have never seen a cake like this before it's awesome

    ReplyDelete
  94. AMAZING!!! I'm thinking of making it for hubs 40th this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  95. So pretty :) Going to try to duplicate it for my daughter's rainbow art birthday party...

    That said - I noticed you mentioned not having disposable pastry bags -- I don't have any either, but i've found that I can change out colors quickly and easily if I use saran wrap like this: http://chefmommy-brandao.blogspot.com/2011/04/tip-best-tip-ever-for-filling-pastry.html

    I learned the trick for use with royal icing, but it works for other types of icing as well!

    ReplyDelete