Sunday, March 6, 2011

Best. Breadsticks. Ever.

I tried out this recipe for bread sticks on the Food Network website a few weeks ago, they are to DIE for! I never knew homemade could be so good. :)

What You'll Need:
Dough:
1 package yeast (or 2 1/4 tsp of yeast)
1 1/2 cups plus 2 tbsp of water (divided)
4 1/4 cups flour (I used bread flour)
2 tbsp butter (or olive oil)
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp salt (you can skip this if you used salted butter)

Topping:
4 tbsp butter (give or take)
Salt and garlic powder to taste
Pinch of oregano (I just did fresh chopped parsley, just for color)
Grated Parmesan cheese

Add 1/4 cup of water and 2 1/2 tsp of yeast to your mixing bowl. Let it sit for about 5 minutes to dissolve.
To that, add the remaining 1 1/4 cups plus 2 tbsp of water, flour, butter, sugar, and salt.
With your dough hook, mix until it creates a dough, about 3 minutes. Place your dough on a floured surface and knead it by hand for another 3-5 minutes.
Using a knife or plastic board scraper, divide your dough into equal parts. If you're only making bread sticks, divide it into 16 equal parts. I'm making pizza and bread sticks, so I divided it in half, and then divided the one half into 8 pieces.

Melt about 2 tbsp butter.
Roll your bread sticks out into approximately 7 inch long sticks.
Brush your bread sticks with the melted butter. I added this step because I noticed that this dough tends to get a crust on it pretty fast. The butter keeps that from happening. It also creates a nice golden crisp crust on the bottom of the bread sticks once they're baked.
Place your bread sticks in a warm spot. I like to preheat my oven to 200 degrees and then turn it off. Once the temp comes down to about 90-100 degrees, I put the dough in to rise, this seems to speed the process.
Once the dough has risen to about double, take it out of the oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
While the bread sticks are baking, make your butter topping. Melt the butter, and add to it the chopped herbs, salt, and garlic powder.
Once they're done baking, brush on the butter mix, and sprinkle with parm cheese.

10 comments:

  1. These looks so delish!! My husband loves breadsticks, will have to give these a try. I invite you to link up any & all of your delightful creations to The Homespun Bake Shop @ The Tattered Tag. It's a great new place to share & find delicious inspiration. Happy to be a new follower. :)

    Drop by The Tattered Tag

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gommie gimmie gimmie!!! I love bread sticks. Thanks for sharing, i will have to try it.
    Your newest follower!
    Come see me at http://willcookforsmiles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! Those look SO good! Thank you for sharing the recipe!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so yummy! My mom found her way to your blog and made these the other night--they were a big hit! I'm excited to give them a whirl myself!

    Feel free to stop by my blog when you have a chance. I'm now one of your followers and would love to have you as one of mine. :) Keep the delicious recipes coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to make this for tonight's dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am interested about this only being a single rise dough. The proof will be in the tasting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh those look so yummy! I featured them on Hoo's got talent! Thanks for linking to the party!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wanted to thank you for this recipe. I do have to say that I tried them and they were a total flop...for me. It had NOTHING to do with your recipe, it was all me and this was the very first bread recipe I had ever tried. I now know where I went wrong and will surely be trying them again. I do have to add that even though they didn't work the way I had wanted, my boys loved them and ate all 32 breadsticks! :o) I have placed them on my blog and was sure to let everyone know where I got my recipe and that everything that went wrong was my doing. Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete