Thursday, June 23, 2011

New York Time's Famous Chocolate Chip Cookies

This recipe has been going around blog land, and I've seen it a lot especially pinned on Pinterest. You know I had to make it! The first batch I made, I used crisco in place of the butter, and I used dairy-free chocolate chips (Ghirardelli semi-sweet). They were good, but not spectacular. I wanted to know what the real recipe tasted like. I wanted to have just a bite of one of those cookies. So I made a whole batch. Yup, I made an entire batch, just so I could try a bite. I sent most of them to work with my hubby, and pawned the rest off on my family.
Let me say, THESE were spectacular. The butter and sugar meld together to make an almost (chocolate covered) toffee-like bliss. They were amazing, still warm from the oven. Ya know what my husband said when I asked him what he thought? "They taste like a chocolate chip cookie". About 5 minutes later, I caught him with his eyes rolling back in his head saying "these are sooooo good" about the Nacho Cheese Doritos he was shoveling in his mouth. Needless to say, he's lucky he woke up with both his testicles in tact. ;)
Anyway, the cookies were amazing. They were especially good straight out of the oven. The people at my husbands work apparently loved them, they've now started a list of things for me to make! (I've already sent in my practice Flag Cake, and some Turtle Cheesecake).
Now it's your turn to go make these cookies! You can find the recipe here. It's a pretty large batch, I suggest cutting it in half (unless you have lots of people to eat them!) I made the entire batch, baked half last night, and refrigerated the other half to bake up this morning. I wrapped it in wax paper in a log, like this. When I was ready to bake them, I just unwrapped and sliced them up with a chef's knife.
Personally, I liked them better when they were baked fresh from the original batter, the refrigerated ones seemed to bake up funky. But that's just me, they were both delicious!

2 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to try these for a while now. I think this post is just what I needed to actually get my butt in the kitchen and baking! ;)

    And oh, men.. What do they know anyway? :)

    ReplyDelete