Sunday, June 19, 2011

Baked onion rings

I saw this recipe online a couple weeks ago, and after trying it, I decided to make a few changes. Overall it was pretty easy to make, much easier than I expected! Here's the recipe:

1 large onion (I used a Vidalia)
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup flour
2 eggs
4 cups corn flakes (crushed)
Salt and pepper
2-4 tbsp oil

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
Slice your onion horizontally and separate the rings. Throw them into a gallon size ziplock with 1/4 cup of milk and shake it up. Pour out the excess milk.
Dump 1/4 cup of flour into the bag, seal it and shake it to coat the rings. Add more if needed. 
Beat 2 eggs in a bowl, and set aside.
Using either a food processor or your hands, crush your corn flakes and put them in a bowl. Season them with salt and pepper to taste.
Dunk each ring into the eggs, and then coat it with the crushed corn flakes. Set on a clean plate.
Once all of your onion rings are ready, put 2-4 tbsp of oil onto a baking sheets (one with sides). Place it into your 450 degree oven for 2 minutes.
Place onion rings on the baking sheet and bake for 16-18 minutes, depending on what level of crispiness you want. Turn them once half way through.
These onions rings were just as good as any other recipe I've had! There weren't deep fried, so they were a little lighter and less greasy, but I don't think any of the flavor was sacrificed at all!

2 comments:

  1. Those look so good! I can't wait to make my own batch! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I'm your newest GFC follower and just put this on pinterest. Stop over and say HI! You have a lot of cute ideas.

    xoxox SusieQTpies

    ReplyDelete