Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Headband covers

Okay, I seriously need to get better about posting. I usually get so distracted during the week, and then notice I haven't posted anything in a while. Then I make 3 posts in 1 day! I really need to get better at posting my projects as I do them! I'll try to work on that. 
So I have this ugly white headband. It's got some funky stains on it, they've accumulated over the years. I really wanted to cover it with a cute fabric, but then I'd still only have one headband, and it would only go with a few outfits. I thought and thought and thought, and finally figured out a good way to make a headband cover! They're interchangeable, so you can make as many as you like! I'd still like to figure out a way to make it fit a little better, but so far no luck. It works for what I want it for though, and it looks cute!
Take your fabric and lay it out pattern side down. Trace your headband, leaving a good 1/2-3/4 inch gap.
Next, you need to create a pocket for the ends of the headband to slip into. Making sure not to glue the fabric to the headband, fold the fabric over the ends, and glue it together. Continue to glue up up the headband about 2 inches. Do this on both ends. 
To get a nice crease in the fabric, take a hot iron or hair straightener, and run it along the edges.
To take the fabric cover off, slip the top part off, and the ends will come out with no problem. To put a new one on, slip the ends into the pockets, and slip the rest over the top part of the headband. Fold the flaps of fabric under, and put it on!
So far I haven't had any problems with it slipping, it stays in place pretty well. It's pretty makeshift, but it works exactly how I wanted it to! I'd love any suggestions to make the fabric more fitted to the headband. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Katy! The headbands covers are so cute! I am now following you thanks to Wandering Wednesday, and it would be nice if you could share the love back on my blog;) Also don't forget, if you need any help increasing your blog's traffic or easy blog tutorials, you know where to come!
    Today we have some brand new tips to better our blogs, so make sure you don't miss that! Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great! And a great tutorial too!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! Would velcro work to secure it? Or would it be too bulky?
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea, I love that it's interchangable. Now you can match any outfit but don't have to store a ton of headbands!

    ReplyDelete