Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Carseat Redo

We had this horrible pink carseat given to us. It wasn't that old, but it was NOT pretty. The cover was in horrible shape. At the time, we took it, even though we had no idea if we were having a girl or a boy. Since we're having a boy, it was all the more reason to make a new cover! I don't have step by step pictures, since I had no idea what the heck I was doing, but I did take some! Sorry also for the lack of before pictures. It really was ugly, I wish you could have seen it.
Instead of making an all new cover, I just recovered the one we had. It seemed a lot easier this way. I found my fabric (cute, isn't it?) and got to work. I pinned it all down, trying to follow the lines of the original car seat. It didn't look too bad! I was holding out hope for it to work out at this point. 

The canopy wasn't as easy. I had no idea how I was going to sew it. I ended up just pinning the fabric down and sewing one straight line down the seams. It actually didn't look half bad! The rest of the cover wasn't too bad to sew, I just followed the lines of pins I had.

So one thing I forgot to mention is that this has been sitting here, taunting me, half done, for weeks. I got this far, and said "wow, this turned out great!", and left it. I knew it wasn't done, but I had no idea how to do the next part. I needed to cut holes for the belts. Some of the other car seat re-dos that I'd seen made a kind of lining out of coordinating fabric, and used that to line the entire car seat and the belt holes. It just looked too complicated. In the end, I decided to do it button hole fashion.
I marked out where I needed my holes. 
Using the tightest zig zag stitch I had, I zig zagged forward, moved my foot over a small amount, and then zig zagged backward. Then I retraced my steps to make sure I really got it well. 
Once I had all my holes done, I cut out the material from the middle. It actually didn't turn out half bad! I sat there worrying about it so much, and it ended up being easy and quick. I kind of wish I would have tackled it sooner.

Check out that button hole magic. My first time ever doing button holes! And I didn't even use the button hole setting on my machine!

You can still see the ugly pink color it used to be!


  1. CUTE! I love the monkey fabric! Hehe! I have to put half done projects in another room or they actually taunt me! Excellent job!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie.
    I can't wait to see what you have next week!

  2. Great redo! I love your comments about half-finished projects that taunt you for weeks (in my case possibly months!) and then turn out to be no big deal! I actually started my blog to motivate me to finish up some of my projects! I don't think you can get to it from my google profile, so here's a link in case you're interested: http://thepracticalpefeccionista.wordpress.com
    Congratulations on the new one on the way! Boys are fun!

  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.